Introducing, Ashley's Lemon Jelly Meringue Pie - the perfect special occasion jelly dessert! Ashley's winning recipe creation features a delicious shortbread base, zesty lemon jelly filling and mouth-watering meringue.
INGREDIENTS 8 SERVINGS
- 300g 2 1/4 cups shortbread biscuits crushed
- 80 g melted butter
- LEMON FILLING
- 1 x 85 g Aeroplane Original Lemon Flavour Jelly
- 1 x 125 ml 1/2 cup boiling water
- 395g can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 lemons zested
- 1/2 cup 125 ml strained lemon juice
- 1 cup 220 g granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup 80 ml water
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 Place crumbs and butter in a large bowl and stir with a fork until the mixture is well combined. Spoon into a 22 cm x 3 cm pie plate and press onto base and up the sides until the surface is very compact. Refrigerate while preparing lemon filling.
- 2 In a small jug dissolve the jelly crystals in the boiling water and set aside. Place condensed milk, lemon zest and juice in a large bowl and stir until well combined. Add the warm jelly mixture and slowly stir through, then pour into pie base and refrigerate until set (2 hours) and ready to serve.
- 3 Combine sugar and water in small saucepan; bring to the boil. Boil to soft ball stage (110˚C), using a sugar thermometer for accuracy. Then beat egg whites in large bowl with electric mixer until frothy. Add cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form. Boil syrup for a further 5 minutes (or syrup reaches 120˚C) then very slowly, while beating, pour in a very thin stream over beaten whites. Continue to beat the meringue until it has cooled, and whites are stiff and glossy.
- 4 Pile the meringue over the filled pie, then using a blowtorch toast the top.
To cut the meringue easily, dip a long-bladed knife in very hot water then wipe clean before slicing through the meringue.