This show-stopping pavlova brings the wow factor to the dessert table with a hidden layer of raspberry jelly under lashings of cream and berries.
INGREDIENTS 10 SERVINGS
- 2 x 85 g Aeroplane Original Raspberry Flavour Jelly
- 500 g round store-bought pavlova
- ⅓ cup (40 g) hazelnuts, chopped
- ⅓ cup (40 g) slivered almonds
- 1 x orange, finely julienned zest
- ½ cup (40 g) shaved coconut flakes
- 6 mint leaves, finely shredded
- 300 mL thickened cream, whipped
- 250 g fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 200 g fresh blueberries
- 1 Empty the 2 packs of jelly into a jug and add 1 cup (250 mL) boiling water, stir for 2 minutes to completely dissolve, then add 1 cup (250 mL) iced water. Leave on the kitchen bench for approximately 1 hour or until a very thick, almost set liquid (consistency of thick custard).
- 2 Unpack and gently invert pavlova onto a flat 30 cm diameter serving plate, carefully lift off the base board. Using the tip of a sharp knife cut an inner ring, approximately 5 cm in from the edge and about 3 cm deep (being careful not to cut all the way through) use a spoon to remove inner circle of pavlova forming a well for the jelly (see tip*). Pour the almost set jelly liquid into the pavlova cavity and refrigerate until set firm (approximately 1 hour).
- 3 Preheat oven 180˚C or 160˚C fan forced. Place the nuts and orange zest on a baking tray and toast in oven for 10 minutes or until golden, remove and set aside to cool completely. Add coconut flakes, to the cooled, toasted mix and set aside.
- 4 Spread the whipped cream over the top of the pavlova, concealing the jelly. Top with a selection of mixed berries and finally a sprinkle of the nut mixture, (Serve any remaining nut combo and berries to the side of the pavlova).
A great way to use the removed pavlova is to fold through the whipped cream before spooning over the pav.