Lemon and strawberry jelly combine for a flavour burst in this modern twist on trifle that looks and tastes amazing.
INGREDIENTS 8 SERVINGS
- 1 x 85 g Aeroplane Original Strawberry Flavour Jelly
- 1 x 85 g Aeroplane Original Lemon Flavour Jelly
- 500 g strawberries, hulled & sliced
- 1 x pomegranate, pommels removed (optional)
- ½ cup (100 g) sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup ground cardamom
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- ¼ cup (60 g) butter melted
- 2 tbsp (40 mL) honey, warmed
- 400 g full fat ricotta cheese
- ½ cup (80 g) pure icing sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) extra thick vanilla custard
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 1 orange, zest and 2 tbsp juice
- mint leaves
- 2 tbsp pistachio nuts, toasted
- 1 Combine the 2 packets of jelly crystals and make up as per directions in a jug. Pour into a glass, 3 lt capacity trifle bowl. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until semi set, then stir through 1 cup of sliced strawberries and 2 tbsp of pommels if using, so they are suspended in jelly. Cover and return to fridge until ready to serve.
- 2 Place the sugar and spices in a small bowl and combine. Place 1 sheet of filo on a baking paper lined baking tray, bush with butter, top with second sheet of pastry, brush with butter and evenly sprinkle over 2 tablespoons of sugar mixture. Repeat with the remaining 4 sheets ending with sugar. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 10 minutes or until butter hardens.
- 3 Pre heat oven to 160˚C fan forced. Remove tray from fridge, uncover and using a sharp knife cut the pastry into 5 cm squares. Place a second sheet of baking paper over the pastry and weight with a second baking tray.
- 4 Bake for 8 minutes, remove top tray, rotate, bake a further 6 minutes or until crisp and golden. Immediately after removing the filo crisps from the oven, drizzle over the warm honey. Then set aside until ready to serve.
- 5 Place ricotta, icing sugar, custard, zest of lemon, orange and juice into the bowl of a food processor and process for 2-3 minutes or until smooth. Set aside.
- 6 To serve; Take the trifle bowl from the fridge, layer over the jelly; the ricotta custard, remaining strawberry slices, pomegranate seeds and filo crisps, repeating until you run out of ingredients. Garnish with mint leaves and toasted pistachios.