INGREDIENTS 12 SERVINGS
- 1 x 85 g packet Aeroplane Original Lime Flavour Jelly
- ⅔ cup caster sugar
- ½ cup (125 mL) water
- 2 tsp gelatine powder
- 2 drops green gel food colouring
- sprinkles, Christmas themed
- icing sugar for dusting
- 12 mini Oreos
- a little melted milk or dark chocolate⠀
- 1 Line large baking tray with paper, dust with icing sugar. Prep a large piping bag with a large star tip. ⠀
- 2 Tip jelly crystals into a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer.⠀
- 3 Pour the water into small saucepan, sprinkle the gelatine evenly over the top. Let sit for 5 minutes to soften.⠀
- 4 Place saucepan over low heat and stir for a minute or so to dissolve the gelatine. Do not boil.⠀
- 5 Add the sugar and stir again just until dissolved. Do not boil.⠀
- 6 Pour the hot syrup over the jelly crystals and with a whisk attachment or electric beaters, beat on med- high speed until opaque and thick. When you take the beater out it should leave a soft peak and the bowl will no longer be hot (about 10-12 minutes). ⠀
- 7 Fold in the food colouring then transfer the marshmallow to a piping bag using a spatula.
- 8 Pipe 12 rosettes (circles of marshmallow) about 2 inches wide. Pipe a second, smaller rosette on top of each then finally pipe a peak on top. Wet your finger with water then it will be easier to release the marshmallow from the tip if it's hanging on.
- 9 Scatter over some sprinkles then dust with icing sugar. Let them sit for 10 minutes, then roll them around in icing sugar and bounce them in your hands to shake off the excess.
- 10 Dip the tops of the Oreos in the melted chocolate and sit the tree on top. Leave to set.
It's useful to have a stand mixer for this as the mixture takes about 10 mins to get to the right consistency and increases 4 x in volume.
You'll also need a piping large star piping tip and piping bag.
Do all the bases first, before going back to do the second & third layers. This gives them time to set.
Use the marshmallow within 10 minutes of it being ready as the longer it sits the more it sets.
These keep well at room temperature or in the fridge for a 4-5 days.
A little water on your finger will make it easier to release the marshmallow when sticky and adjust the shape if needed.