This stunning dessert is the perfect centre piece for any Christmas celebration
3h 25 min
INGREDIENTS 12 SERVINGS
- 3 x 85 g Aeroplane Original Raspberry Flavour Jelly
- 2 x 400 g store bought Swiss rolls (jam rolls)
- 250 g desiccated coconut
- 600 mL thickened cream
- 1 ¾ cups (435 mL) Pauls Double Thick Vanilla Custard
- 1 x fresh peach, cut into thin wedges
- 6-8 store bought macarons (size dependent)
- 125 g punnet blueberries
- ½ punnet strawberries, halved
- 1 For the decorative jelly cubes; rinse a 13 cm square plastic container with cold water, do not dry. Mix 1 pack of watermelon jelly crystals with 1 cup (250mL) boiling water and stir until crystals are completely dissolved. Allow to cool slightly and then pour into the lined pan. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firmly set. Once the jelly is set, remove from the fridge and cut into cubes approx. 1 ½ -2cm cubes. Set aside until ready to decorate and serve the trifle wreath.
- 2 In a large mixing bowl mix the remaining 2 packets of jelly crystals with 2 cups (500mL) of boiling water and stir until crystals are completely dissolved. Add 200mL of cold water, stir and then refrigerate 1 – 1 ½ hours or until mix resembles the consistency of a thick syrup.
- 3 Slice the Swiss rolls into 1 cm slices (approx. 12 slices per roll). Pour coconut onto a large plate. Once the second bowl of prepared jelly is set to the desired consistency, working quickly, dip each slice of Swiss roll into the jelly mix, allow the excess to drip off and then roll the slice in coconut. Place on a large plate and repeat with remaining jelly, cake and coconut. Place in the fridge to set.
- 4 Using an electric mixer, beat the cream and custard together on high speed for 3-5 minutes or until soft peaks form. Spoon the custard mixture into a large piping bag fitted with a medium star nozzle.
- 5 On a large circular serving plate arrange the jelly Swiss roll slices upright, forming a ring with the inner circle of the slices touching. The outside of the slices should sit approximately 1 ½ -2cm apart.
- 6 Pipe the custard mixture between each slice of jelly Swiss roll, moving the outside edges apart slightly to allow room for the cream. Continue around the wreath until complete and then pipe 2 or 3 circles around the top of the wreath. Place in the fridge and allow to firm up for approximately 1 hour before decorating and serving.
- 7 To decorate your wreath, place the macarons on first as show pieces, then alternate between the jelly cubes and fresh fruit.