The delicate rose flavours elevate the watermelon and create subtle Turkish delight notes.
INGREDIENTS 8 SERVINGS
- Jelly Gems
- 2 x 85 g packets Aeroplane Original Watermelon Flavour Jelly
- Rose Syrup
- ¾ cup (165 g) caster sugar
- ¾ cup (180 mL) water (or rosé wine)
- 1 tbsp rosewater, or to taste
- pink food colouring
- Trifle Layers
- ¼ seedless (approx. 1½ kg) watermelon, thinly sliced
- 2 x 250 g punnets strawberries, quartered
- 30 red seedless grapes, halved
- 600 ml thickened cream
- 250 g marscapone
- ¼ cup (60g) caster sugar
- 450 g store-bought double sponge cake (2 x 18cm x 13cm x 4cm)
- 2 tbsps (20g) slivered pistachios, divided
- dried rose petals, to serve (optional)
- 1 To make gems; combine watermelon flavoured jelly crystals with 1 ½ cups (375 mL) boiling water, stirring until well dissolved, stir in 1 ½ cups (375 mL) cold water. Pour into a plastic wrap lined 20 cm square cake pan and refrigerate until set firm.
- 2 For the rose syrup; place sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat and stir to dissolve sugar. Bring to the boil and cook for 6 -8 minutes or until slightly reduced. Cool, then stir in rosewater followed by a few drops of pink food colouring.
- 3 Using both a 5cm and a 4 cm scone cutter cut 9-10 rounds of watermelon of each size. (you will need approx. 20 in total, trifle bowl dependent). Arrange melon slices on a wire rack in a single layer and using paper towel pat dry.
- 4 Meanwhile, combine berries, grapes and a ¼ cup of rosewater syrup in a bowl. Transfer set jelly to a chopping board and cut into 2 cm cubes.
- 5 Whisk the cream, mascarpone and sugar with electric whisk until smooth. Add 2 tablespoons of rosewater syrup and continue whisking until soft peaks form.
- 6 Slice the cake in half horizontally if needed or trim one cake layer to fit base of a trifle bowl using the blunt end of a skewer (poke) holes over cake and drizzle 2-3 tablespoons of syrup over.
- 7 Place watermelon rounds on their edge, on cake surface, around the wall of the trifle bowl. Space the rounds to allow fruit and jelly to peak through. Spoon ⅓ of the fruit mix and jelly cubes and a sprinkle of slivered pistachio over cake and arrange between watermelon rounds. Then spoon half of the cream on top and level.
- 8 Place the final layer of cake on top, poke and drizzle with syrup (retain a little syrup for serving). Place another layer of smaller watermelon rounds on their edge on cake surface, around the wall of the trifle bowl and spoon in half of the remaining fruit, jelly and pistachios then spoon the remaining cream on top. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 9 To serve, decorate the top with remaining fruit and jelly cubes, then garnish with remaining pistachios, a sprinkle of rose petals and finally a drizzle of syrup.